|   Fantasy News  |   Funny Pics  |   Tamil Movies  |   Hindi Movies  |   Telugu Movies  |   Malayalam Movies  |  

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Screen kisses do not break marriages"

Having just filmed a scene in " Mushrooms" that had leeches crawling all over her body, Paoli is now dreaming of shooting her first commercial Bengali film in Austria. The actor tells CT that links-ups with Shayan Munshi or Kushal Trivedi don't bother her.

Her performance in " Moner Manush" has got her noticed yet again. And now, she wants to grow laterally and do all kinds of cinema. While on the one hand, Paoli had leeches crawling all over her when she shot for Vimukthi Jayasundara's "Mushrooms", on the other, she has agreed to do a Paritosh Jaiswal movie with model-turned-actor Kushal Trivedi that will be an out-and-out commercial movie with songs that will be shot in Austria. Shooting for this film will begin on January 10. Excerpts from an interview with Paoli:

What is the career path that you wish to take now?
When I joined this profession, I was clear that I wanted to explore different options. That's why I want to do both masala and sensible films, so that I get a taste of everything.

You've been getting compliments galore for your eyes. Do such compliments get boring at times?
When someone appreciates my eyes, it doesn't sound bad. But, of course, there is more to me than what meets the eye (laughs). Even though my looks in my three recent releases have been on similar lines, the
premise of my films has been very different. In "Kagojer Bou" and "Tokhon Teish", I have tried to be very different. "Mushrooms" is being made with a sensibility that isn't found in today's Bengali cinema. Vimukthi didn't even allow me to wear a hint of kajal. As an actor, I want to experiment more. But then again, even if I want to, I can't really bring about a revolutionary change in terms of looks. I wouldn't want to do anything that's forced. I can wear a kurta with a pair or jeans or a shirt with hot pants. But what more can one do in today's Bengali cinema? If there is something more that can be done, I am game.

So, if you are offered the role of Seema Biswas in "Bandit Queen", are you game?
Why not? My film career is just one-and-a-half years old, where I never strategised. I am open to
experimentation. I'd also love to do a very flamboyant character, who leads a very fast life.

Is this desire to do a masala film also because those films are supposed to offer a certain degree of popularity to an actor that arthouse movies can't?
I don't agree that arthouse movies don't give popularity. I too get mobbed. Yet, it's true that I also fancy being a heroine who will dance around trees and romance the heroes.

There were reports of you backing out of "Gangor" that had such scenes because Irrfan opted out of the movie and was replaced by Adil. Considering that you are doing a film with newcomer Kushal, how important is the stature of your co-star while shooting an intimate scene?
I couldn't do "Gangor" only because the dates of the movie kept changing. Finally, they clashed with that of "Moner Manush". Filming an intimate scene well depends a lot on the director. Sometimes, newcomers too can give a terrific performance. The stature of my co-actor is hardly an issue.

There were talks of a certain actor not wanting to do a smooching scene in a film that also starred you. What do you say to those kind of reservations?
The more one is exposed and experienced in cinema, one's perception changes. Films, I find, is the best form of art. I have no inhibitions about shooting intimate scenes. Look at what Kate Winslet did in "The Reader". She has taken nudity to the level of aesthetics. I believe actors are an extremely privileged lot because they get a chance to live so many different lives and also enjoy the benefits of name, fame, money and popularity. Even my parents understand that and respect my choice in doing certain scenes.

Recently, there has been news of trouble in the marital life of your "Banshiwala" co-actor, Shayan Munshi, with rumours blaming your smooching scene in the film as one of the reasons. Purab Kolhi and Gul Panag's on-screen kiss is supposedly the reason for trouble in Purab's marital life too. Your take...

Oh! No. When Shayan came for the premiere of "Banshiwala", I had asked him why his wife, Piya, wasn't around in Kolkata with him. He had then told me that there were some problems. I never discuss personal life with a co-actor. As for my smooching scene or anyone's kissing scene in a movie, let's get real. On-screen kisses don't break marriages.

You have already been linked with some actors (including Shayan, and, now, Kushal) and directors. Do such rumours bother you?
I am not linked to Shayan. The rest don't bother me. I have a very good relationship with all my directors and actors. Not all relationships can be given a name and they don't warrant any explanation from me. I'm not bothered about link-ups.

How important is to have a man in your film?
I have a lot of men in my life... I mean, a lot of friends (laughs). I love to interact with various people on different subjects. That way, I also get very enriched. Neither do I have the time nor the intention of having a one-track mind. I am very happy now and too focussed on my career. I don't want anything to change that.

Acting, you say, is your biggest passion in life. To what extent can you go to be passionate about your craft?
Recently, while shooting for Vimukthi's movie, I had a scene where I had to lie on a river bed at five in the morning with leeches crawling all over me.

Didn't it scare you?
I had heard that the leech-crawl is also used as a form of treatment for high blood pressure. Of course, I was scared but I still went ahead. Fulfilling my dream is so compelling that I believe in not leaving any loose ends. I will go the extra mile to do remarkable cinema.
Follow us on Twitter for more stories

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...